It’s no secret that caffeine is one of the strongest and most effective energy-stimulants we know. It can commonly be found in energy drinks, cola, green and black tea, cocoa, and coffee. Popularly, a lot of people consume some of these drinks and treats to stay focused and energized. But, what to do when the traditional caffeinated drinks don’t work and you have important deadlines to meet?
Caffeine pills are an innovative solution that has been here for a while. A lot of people find it an appealing option because they can choose the right caffeine dose that will help them optimize their tasks.
In this article, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about consuming caffeine pills. There are a lot of options, so we’ll also walk you through the list of the best caffeine pills you can use for overall energy, studying, working, exercising, and other activities.
What Are Caffeine Pills?
When you hear about the word caffeine, the first thing that comes to your mind is likely coffee or other aforementioned drinks rich in caffeine. Little could you think that there are actual pills that can enhance your focus and energy?
A lot of people already drink coffee. A survey by the National Coffee Association looked into National Coffee Drinking Trends in 2010, finding that 50% of adults in the United States drink coffee daily. With that in mind, not many people are willing to just switch to pills after enjoying coffee for years.
That’s why it’s super-important to properly define the purpose of caffeine pills. So, what are they?
Caffeine pills act as an energy stimulant. However, unlike the traditional treats which we consume daily, the pills are purely made out of caffeine. They’re supplements to those who don’t get enough energy from drinking coffee or suffer from other issues related to coffee and other caffeine-rich drinks.
Two types of caffeine pills include:
- Natural caffeine pills – The caffeine is extracted through brewing.
- Synthetic caffeine pills – Made with lab-grown or designed caffeine.
Note: The ultimate goal of caffeine pill makers is to create a pill that will meet all your demands in sense of providing great caffeine source both through natural or synthetic caffeine. On their product label, they’ll often write that the product is GMO-free, but still use synthetic caffeine.
Caffeine pills are safe to drink and they’re different compared to the caffeine powder that you may have heard about. Caffeine powder is a different kind of substance and it’s being sold in large quantities.
However, according to various regulatory bodies in the US, loose caffeine powder shouldn’t be used for caffeine pills because of its potentially hazardous side-effects.
When talking about pure caffeine pills, it’s safe to say that they’ll provide the same beneficial effect as original coffee. Moreover, it’ll save you a lot of time you may spend brewing, or going to buy a coffee to take a few blocks away from your work. All you have to do is take the right amount of caffeine and if you stick to the guide, you should feel energized for up to five hours.
Let’s talk about the dosage in more depth. On average, caffeine pills can contain anywhere from 100 to 200 milligrams of caffeine. For your reference, this amount of caffeine amounts to 1 to 2 cups of coffee that you drink regularly. Taking above 250mg of coffee could be considered too much and could even result in difficulties sleeping.
Of course, the serving of coffee you need to stay energized depends on what you consider one serving of coffee.
Each caffeine pill box has a guide that will intuitively instruct you on how much each pill has and how much caffeine you need to drink to equal the regular amount of coffee you drink per day.
The effect of certain caffeine pills also depends on your overall health, nervous system, and more. That’s why reading the guide will show you how to get the best results. Opposite, you could end up overdosing these pills.
Sometimes, based on how much you should do, and when you drink pills, you may also need to drink more than 200mg.
While we said that 250mg and above could potentially make you feel extra-awake, any amount to 400-450mg is still considered safe. You should also consider some other factors. For example, you may drink an additional cup of coffee beside your pill dose just because of some people like drinking coffee. However, note that combining these means you must be more careful when it comes to reading the package directions.
Still, don’t be worried if aside from thinking the caffeine pills you take a smaller chocolate sweet, hot chocolate, tea, or a drink of soda, as long as you don’t exceed their amounts you should be perfectly fine.
Benefits of Drinking Caffeine Pills
If there were not so many benefits to taking caffeine pills, no one would be taking them. Let’s look at some of the best advantages of taking caffeinated pills. Some are even related to your wallet and finances.
- It can save you money. – Expenses related to coffee, both brewed at home and takeaway can easily exceed $150-$200 a month. If you’re an avid coffee drinker, your expenses maybe even higher. Coffee pills can last you for a longer time. One pill costs you about 5 cents, and it’ll likely hold you up much longer than coffee does.
- Nootropic Effects – This means that you’ll be more conscious of your surroundings. Similarly like with a coffee your energy will be boosted, and so your focus, productivity, memory, alertness, sharpness, and mood overall will be improved.
- It’s good for those who exercise – Believe it or not, drinking coffee improves your strength and endurance. With that in mind, so does consuming caffeine pills. A study found that drinking caffeine pills will improve your endurance by 3%.
- It assists weight loss – Different studies looked into the connection between caffeine and losing weight. A 2018 study examined the effects of different forms of caffeine on weight loss, while also looking into prior databases and other data. It found that it can help with losing weight, fat cell reduction, and reduction of BMI.
- It can help reduce headaches. – A study found that in combination with other types of medication such as ibuprofen, caffeine pills can help get rid of a migraine episode faster, or eliminate it.
- It helps people with constipation – Constipation, especially if it’s a result of irritable bowel syndrome, can be extremely annoying and painful for those who experience it. Caffeine pills can help reduce constipation and stimulate the proper functioning of the gut flora thanks to prebiotics.
- They’re usually rich in amino acids – Amino acids such as L-theanine will allow you to feel relaxed after taking these pills. The reason for this is that caffeine use is accompanied by jitters, tremors, crashing, or drowsiness. L-theanine relaxes your body without making you feel drowsy and exhausted.
Drawbacks And Potential Risks of Caffeine Pills
Even though there are a lot of positive effects of taking caffeine pills, there are also side effects that, if ignored could have serious implications on your health. Let’s go through them together.
- Laxative Effects – It’s no secret that caffeine pills can affect your digestive system. Given they are an energy stimulant, they will affect your metabolic rate and cause your digestive system to become overactive. If you abuse the number of caffeine pills, you can easily end up with diarrhea, stomach cramps, or other laxative side-effects.
- Calcium Loss – Calcium is an essential compound for bones. Excess amounts of caffeine, including the caffeine in the caffeine pills, can contribute to calcium loss, as there won’t be enough calcium absorbed.
- High Blood Pressure – A lot of people with low blood pressure drink caffeine pills, or caffeine beverages in general to improve their blood pressure. For people who are prone to having high blood pressure, this can be dangerous.
- Rapid Heart Beats – Similarly to high blood pressure, higher alertness and metabolic rate can work their ways of making your heart beat faster. Those who have chronic or heart disease may be more prone to experiencing these symptoms.
- Dizziness – Dizziness can be a sign of caffeine abuse, especially when it comes to taking caffeine pills.
- Tremors – Caffeine abuse is also associated with muscle weakness, which ultimately can result in jitters and tremors.
- Insomnia – If you drink caffeine pills in the evening, it’s highly plausible that you won’t be able to fall asleep even when you begin feeling sleepy. That’s the whole point of wakefulness.
- Pregnancy Risks – Pregnant and nursing women aren’t recommended to drink caffeine pills. While the caffeine limit of 400mg applies to them too. Too much caffeine can lead to pregnancy loss and even reduction of fertility.
- Coma – Although extremely rare, caffeine abuse can lead to overdose, which sees taking between 1 and 5 grams of caffeine. Caffeine overdose comes with a plethora of side effects like tachycardia, arrhythmia, coma, and potential death.
5 Best Caffeine Pills
Now that you know everything about caffeine pills, benefits, and side effects, let’s review the best caffeine pills for every purpose.
1. Best Caffeine Pill Overall: PerformanceLab Stim
- It uses organic caffeine made through brewing process, which is a natural source of caffeine.
- It helps raise alertness, wakefulness, concentration, focus, and promotes memory boosting.
- It’s free of soy, GMO, Gluten and it’s vegan-friendly.
- It is made of anti-allergy components, so you don’t have to worry, especially if you’re sensitive to caffeine.
- It’s rich in L-theanine which eliminates the source of nervousness and anxiety, while also reducing the drowsiness that is associated with caffeine.
- It boasts a modest serving size of 50mg of caffeine. That means you can combine multiple options to find the right dose.
- L-Tyrosine helps get rid of the tremors.
- It’s great for everyone.
We wanted to provide caffeine pills with the best overall performance. We found the natural, GMO-free, and Gluten-free option that you can use daily without worrying about side effects. Our best overall option is PerformanceLab Stim.
We believe that PerformanceLab Stim has the best ratio of caffeine compared to other supplements inside of it. There is only a modest 50mg of natural caffeine, which means they use natural caffeine through the brewing process. Moreover, it’s only 50mg so you can combine more than one dose to make your own perfect “cup of coffee.”
Additional information is that PerformanceLab Stim is also equipped with L-theanine which prevents drowsiness but also eliminates the source of worrying, anxiety, and nervousness, allowing you to relax and focus on important things. Aside from the 50mg caffeine, there is also 100mg of Suntheanine for more accuracy, focus, and performance stimulation.
It’s also rich in B vitamins, as well as Ajipure L-Tyrosine which helps get rid of the caffeine-caused side effects, such as tremors and jitters. Lastly, it promotes alpha brainwaves while adding clarity and relaxation. It’s great for athletes, students, heavy-duty workers, and everyone who needs a little more energy in their life.
It’s also worth noting that it reduces caffeine-induced stress.
- Some people who have large serving may find it to be a low dosage. That also means it can be more expensive if you consume up to 10 pills a day.
- If it’s not combined with other supplements, it could make you wear off faster.
2. Runner Up: Smarter Vitamins Caffeine Pills
- Key ingredients such as organic caffeine will boost your concentration, wakefulness, and mental alertness
- FDA-approved formula
- The formula that consists of L-theanine, MCT oil from coconut, and natural brewed caffeine.
- GMO and gluten-free.
- One softgel has 200mg of caffeine.
- There are different shopping options, with each bottle boasting 50 soft gels.
- It’s convenient as you won’t need more than 2 pills per day.
- 60-day free returns.
Smarter Vitamins are a winning formula approved by the FDA, which will help you get the most out of your productivity with raised wakefulness, focus, and concentration. Smarter Vitamins offers a winning formula that hasn’t been seen anywhere before. They’re not wrong, here’s why.
It’s winning formula consists of three major components, natural caffeine found in natural plants like leaves that make teas. The natural caffeine will naturally enhance your mental alertness and improve your focus.
Additionally, it is made out of MCT oil from coconuts in only small quantities that will guarantee that you won’t feel drowsy or crash too fast. It also ensures there are no tremors or jitters caused by caffeine.
One of the most important compounds of this caffeine pill formula is the L-theanine extracted from the natural green tea leaves. As mentioned earlier, L-theanine will drop your drowsiness, but also give you the relaxation and focus you need.
Smarter Vitamins caffeine pills were made to provide a lasting effect of up to 5 to 6 hours, depending on your caffeine tolerance. It’s made out of gluten-free and GMO-free ingredients that will ensure that you’re only intaking nature while boosting mental alertness, accuracy, and focus.
Smarter Vitamins caffeine pills can be used by anyone, from people who want to start something new, to students and athletes. Lastly, the company promises a 60-day trial whereas you can return the product if you don’t like it and get your money back.
- Information about the caffeine amount in one soft gel is kind of difficult to explain.
- The 200mg softgel may be too much for someone.
3. Best Budget: PROLAB Advanced Caffeine Tablets
- It uses caffeine sources from the nature, so undoubtedly, this is organic caffeine.
- It’s great value for the price.
- It’s suited for working out for improved stamina, but it’s an all-purpose option.
- It comes with a 200mg serving portion.
- Improves focus, alertness, and accuracy.
- It stimulates weight loss
PROLAB Advanced Caffeine pills are made for people who want to improve their workout performance on a budget. You will easily see that this 60-pill box is more affordable than others and will help you easily fight fatigue and exhaustion when it’s time to go to the gym. One particularly great thing it does is prevent muscle fatigue so you can exercise to your heart’s content.
Nevertheless, this 200mg per serving option is available to everyone who wants to improve their cognitive performance, whether it’s studying, work, or workout. It will help you be more focused and dedicated to your activities.
According to the label, it stimulates calorie burning, so this option will be helpful to everyone who is struggling with weight loss and wants to try this option out for better results. It also helps with adrenaline. Hence it’s one of the best options for people who exercise.
- It may be too strong for some.
- One of the side effects may include diarrhea
4. Best for Students: Objective Wide Awake
- It uses chocolate as a caffeine source, which makes it a natural source of caffeine.
- Great option for students who are not fond of coffee and want to enjoy the juicy taste of chocolate.
- Contains 200mg of natural caffeine that will boost your focus, sharpness, and mental alertness.
- No artificial sweeteners. It’s rich in allulose which is a low caloric sugar alternative, making it great for weight loss.
- It has a long-lasting effect of up to 6 hours.
- The amino acids that enrich this caffeine pill are great for preventing tremors and jittering.
Objective Wide Awake is a box of sweetness without artificial sweeteners. What’s even better is the fact that they won’t go to waste because they will keep you up, precise focused, and sharp while you’re preparing for your exam.
One box contains 200mg of organic caffeine. The organic caffeine is also accompanied by various amino-acids that will prevent jittering and tremors, keeping you in a mentally alert and focused state while you’re focusing to study for exams. There will be no fatigue spikes, nor crashing. However, even though the sizing is 200mg per pill, the company advises you not to take more than once a day.
Aside from caffeine, it’s also rich in chocolate, which is naturally rich in caffeine. This is the best way to stay productive while enjoying an energizing box of chocolate. Additionally, it improves your mood and eliminates nervousness that is associated with the exam anticipation.
With a 6-hour lasting effect, more than 80% of caffeine will drop out by the 6th hour. Allulose is a natural sweetener that has fewer calories compared to sugar. Accompanied by the dark chocolate, it provides exceptional taste worth taking.
- It comes only with 15 servings, which can make it expensive for some.
- It’s bad for pregnant and nursing women, as well as those who are sensitive to caffeine.
- It’s strictly prohibited for children to take it.
5. Best Caffeine Pills For Workout: Bulksupplements Caffeine Capsules
- Made out of natural and pure caffeine and no fillers that could compromise your health
- Stimulating lengthy and exhausting exercises
- The formula that prevents jitters and muscle weakness.
- No dizziness, crazy heart rate, and other side effects.
- One capsule contains 200mg of caffeine
- It’s a great value for the price
These capsules are great for every purpose, but they’re the best for workouts. This particular company has also shown great results as both assets for pre-workouts and after-workouts. All in all, the 200mg caffeine dose will be great to wake you up in the morning and stimulate stamina and endurance. It won’t cause jitteriness or muscle weakness.
Each serving has 200mg, which is more than enough for energizing you. For reference, this serving equals one to two cups of coffee. The capsules inside contain lab-tested, pure caffeine without fillers. It will make you feel more energized and empowered in the process.
If you’re going to take this regularly, and you have long workouts, it’d be best to use these only for workouts and not more than 1 to 2 capsules per day.
- The taste will be a little bitter compared to other options we listed.
- The serving size may be too strong for people who don’t work out.
- There is no information on L-theanine or other amino acids. The good side is that it promises no jitters.
You Can Also Consider
6. Best Caffeine Pills for Weight Loss: Nutricast Caffeine Pills
- Nutritionists recommend this option for swift and effective weight loss
- 200mg of caffeine per pill is a great option for those who work on weight loss, exercise, and want to stay energized.
- No GMO, gluten, or sugar, which makes it an even better option for weight loss.
- It comes from an FDA-registered facility which makes this option even healthier and more recommended.
As mentioned earlier, one of the most notable benefits of caffeine pills is its capability to assist with weight loss. With that in mind, this is a great option for everyone who is struggling to lose weight. The box contains 500 pills for 500 servings. Each serving consists of 200mg of natural caffeine.
- The effect may not last as long
- Although it says that this product is GMO free, the caffeine source of these pills is synthetic.
7. Best for People With Allergies: Allerlife Caffeine Supplement
- It contains natural, plant-extracted caffeine
- It boasts different packaging options with 20 and 60 pills.
- It’s rich in vitamins B6 and B12, as well as vitamins C and D.
- Helps you focus and reach more productivity
- It’s safe for people who are prone to various allergies
- Improves mental awareness.
This energy pill stimulant works great for people with compromised immunity and various allergies. It’s crafted with turmeric supplement and vitamins C and D which vastly improve your immunity system and allow you to feel more energized in the process.
- It doesn’t have a long-lasting effect and may lead to crashes eventually.
8. Best Caffeine Pills for Pre Workout: ARO-Vitacost Black Series Pure Caffeine
- Natural caffeine source.
- It comes at an affordable price, considering that they’re made for working out.
- 200mg pills are great for pre-workout consumption. They will not only energize you but also stimulate your stamina, strength, and endurance.
- Improves focus and wakefulness.
- They will last for 6 hours.
If you’re looking for a pre-workout option that won’t result in ripped tendons, muscles, and ligaments, ARO-Vitacost Black Series is the best option to consider. It comes with 240 capsules of 200mg pills. One is more than enough to keep you going for hours.
- There’s no L-theanine and other amino acids that are important in preventing jittering and drowsiness.
- Not recommended for diabetics or anyone with a chronic disease.
9. Best Caffeine Pills for Women: NutraBio Pure Caffeine
- Naturally-sourced caffeine
- It’s a great energy booster for women and they are affordable in the process.
- 200mg per serving which means no more than one is enough to keep you working out or working in general.
- No artificial ingredients, it’s also a vegetarian-friendly option.
Although most of the caffeine pill options are safe for women, NutraBio Pure Caffeine gave us a special vibe. It comes with a lot of pills of 200mg that will last you for a long time.
- It’s bad for women with a sensitive stomach
- Could occasionally result in jitters.
10. Best Caffeine Pills for Energy: Zhou Energy Pills
- It uses natural caffeine
- Helps you focus, concentrate, remain mentally alert, and energized.
- Consists of 100mg caffeine pills and 200mg L-theanine.
- Additional amino acids that will prevent crashing, jitters, and tremors.
- FDA certified
- Prevents drowsiness and helps you remain calm and mentally-focused.
If you’re looking for a moderate caffeine pill option that will keep you energized, but relaxed in the process, this is the way to go. Check out these amazing features.
- Depending on your caffeine tolerance, this option may not work for everyone.