The state of being overweight usually presents several potential health risks and complications. Worse still, obesity—a condition characterized by extreme overweight due to body fat accumulation—is one of the top factors that induce stroke and heart disease globally.
According to recent CDC reports, at least 20% of adults across all states and territories are obese. Similarly, as of 2017–2018, a staggering 19,3% (14.4 million) of children and adolescents (aged 2–19 years) had obesity.
The threats of obesity have prompted the development and sales of various health products that may help with weight loss. One of such purported medical breakthroughs is conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). CLA is a form of fatty acid believed to aid weight loss and immunity enhancement.
Dietarily, you can obtain CLA from dairy products and beef. However, the proportion of CLA in these meals is relatively small due to other compounds in them. Thus, most overweight people take CLA supplements for weight loss instead since they offer CLA in significant amounts compared to foods. CLA supplements are typically manufactured from safflower oil.
There are various brands and manufacturers of CLA pills for weight loss today. So, one must have adequate knowledge of a particular brand of CLA supplement before opting to purchase it. In this light, we’ve compiled a comprehensive survey of the best CLA for weight loss. There’s also a detailed buyer’s guide at the end of this article to help you get the best out of your weight loss journey.
The Top 3 Best CLA Supplements for Weight Loss
1. The Best High Dose CLA for Weight Loss — Bronson CLA 3000 Extra High Potency
A whopping 3,000 mg of safflower oil per serving (containing 7585% CLA); Bestseller on Amazon; absence of GMO in the product; thousands of positive reviews on Amazon; promotes healthy weight management and lean muscle mass; 120 or 300 softgels per container; non-stimulating CLA content.
2. The Best Cheap CLA for Weight Loss — MET-Rx Tonalin CLA 1000
Costs less than $15 per container; 90 servings per container; revolutionary toning formula; supports weight loss; devoid of stimulants.
3. The Best CLA for Weight Loss for Females — Sheer Strength CLA 1500
Stimulant-free CLA from Safflower Oil; 120 gel capsules; gluten-free; non-stimulating; non-GMO; excellent for weight management.
A Brief Overview of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a fatty acid that occurs naturally in fatty meat obtained from ruminants and dairy products. CLA exists in both trans and cis forms. The cis bond induces a lower melting post which is seemingly beneficial to the health.
Similarly, the trans fatty acid form of CLA is believed to affect human health positively. This effect exhibited by CLA is atypical of trans fats.
The two most significant CLA forms are c9, t11 (cis-9, trans-11) and t10, c12 (trans-10, cis-12). The 9, t11 variant is the most abundant in diets, while the t10, c12 form is mostly found in CLA supplements for weight loss. Nonetheless, the t10, c12 form is also present in diets, although smaller.
It’s noteworthy that CLA isn’t an essential fatty acid per se. Therefore, it’s not typically required in one’s diet or as a supplement for optimal health.
In reality, the research supporting the weight-reducing effects is more substantial in animals than humans. Yet, numerous overweight individuals ingest CLA supplements for their supposed fat-burning effects and testify that the supplements help them.
Seven (7) Best CLA for Weight Loss Supplements
With the increasing demand for CLA supplements for weight loss by Americans, it’s only right that potential buyers have the relevant information to choose the right products. Again, not all CLA supplements brands for weight loss have similar efficacy and risk levels. Considering these facts, we’veThe FDA hasn’t evaluated the assertions made by the production company put together a review on the best CLA for weight loss.
Our survey is distinct from conventional CLA for weight loss reviews in the sense that it’s based on the following grounds:
- Must have passed through certain levels of clinical trials
- Adequate levels of active substances
- Substantial positive testimonials from past users/customers
- It must be relatively easy to consume
- Ethical packaging and clear labeling
Though our words are trustworthy, you may visit the manufacturers’ websites, Reddit, Quora, and Google for more product and manufacturer information and customer reviews.
1. Bronson CLA 3000 Extra High Potency: The Best High Dose CLA for Weight Loss
- Dosage Form: Softgel
- Dose: 2 softgels twice daily with food or as recommended by a health professional
- Servings Per Container: 60 or 150 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 3,000 mg safflower oil
- Count: 120 or 300 softgels
- Suitable for: Adults
- Other Ingredients: Gelatin, purified water, glycerin, caramel color.
- Extra Features: Non-GMO
Recognized as a bestseller on Amazon, Bronson CLA 3000 Extra High Potency is a CLA supplement brand intended for healthy weight management and supporting lean muscle mass in adults. Like most CLA pills for weight loss, the product is primarily derived from safflower oil.
As the product’s name implies, each serving of Bronson CLA 3000 offers 3,000 mg of pure safflower seed oil. It’s estimated that each serving provides 75-85% active CLA. Accordingly, the users should expect at least 4,500 mg of CLA from a four-softgel daily serving.
The manufacturers suggest that the users take two softgels twice daily with meals for the best results. Additionally, they add that this combination constitutes a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Furthermore, the manufacturers state that Bronson CLA 3000 is free of genetically modified organisms (GMO) and substances that stimulate the central nervous system. Finally, the product has a one-year,100% money-back guarantee which allows unsatisfied customers to return the unused product for a refund within one year of purchase.
- Pregnant or nursing women should consult a reliable healthcare practitioner before taking Bronson CLA 3000.
- Potential customers and users of Bronson CLA 3,000 mg should note that the statements made by the product’s manufacturers aren’t certified by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
2. MET-Rx Tonalin CLA 1000: The Best Cheap CLA for Weight Loss
- Dosage Form: Capsule
- Dose: 1 capsule per serving
- Servings Per Container: 90 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 1,000 mg Tonalin CLA (from safflower oil)
- Count: 90 capsules
- Suitable For: Adults
- Other Ingredients: Gelatin, caramel color, glycerin
- Extra Features: Ideal for people sensitive to caffeine and other thermogenic substances
With a unit cost of less than $15, MET-Rx CLA Tonalin 1000 is a well-recommended CLA supplement for professional athletes, bodybuilders, and individuals aiming to lose weight. In terms of production, the supplement is sourced from natural safflower oil.
Each capsule from the product’s container offers 1,000 mg of Tonalin CLA derived from safflower oil. Notably, there’s 78-84% of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) in every capsule.
The manufacturer of this CLA brand urges exercisers to combine their intensive training program with CLA for better weight loss results. Additionally, MET-Rx CLA Tonalin 1000 is thought to work by modulating oxidative enzyme activity and energy metabolism. Thus, it’s advised to take the supplement with a balanced diet and an adequate caloric intake.
Furthermore, the manufacturer also declares that their CLA brand has no additional natural or artificial stimulants. According to some customer reviews and remarks, MET-Rx CLA Tonalin 1000 is ideal for people sensitive to caffeine and other thermogenic substances.
Several customers also gave the product positive reviews on Amazon, commending its convenience to swallow.
- The assertions made by the production company haven’t been evaluated by the FDA
- MET-Rx CLA Tonalin 1000 isn’t intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease
- Endeavor to reach out to a medical consultant before taking the product and commanding any diet/supplement program
3. Sheer Strength CLA 1500: The Best CLA for Weight Loss for Females
- Dosage Form: Gel capsule
- Dose: 1 softgel per serving
- Servings Per Container: 120 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 1,500 mg safflower seed oil
- Count: 120 gel capsules
- Suitable For: Women
- Other Ingredients: Gelatin, purified water, glycerin
- Extra Features: Non-GMO, gluten-free
Made specifically for women, the Sheer Strength CLA 1500 is manufactured in the US in an FDA-approved facility following strict cGMP procedures. The CLA brand is intended for natural energy level promotion, fat- and calorie-combustion, and healthy weight support.
Sheer Strength CLA 1500 is free of gluten, GMO, soy, allergens, artificial ingredients, preservatives, chemicals, and fillers. Each product capsule offers 1,500 mg of safflower oil and contains 80% of CLA. Additionally, the supplement is unflavored and may be delivered in varying packaging.
The numerous customer reviews on Amazon, U-buy, and the manufacturer’s website indicate consumers are delighted with the product, with some applauding its ease of swallowing and effectiveness for women.
- Sheer Strength CLA 1500 is a supplement and should be taken as such. The product isn’t a drug for preventing, treating, and curing diseases
- Check with a competent medical practitioner before opting to use the product
4. Sports Research Max Potency CLA 1250
- Dosage Form: Softgel
- Dose: 1 liquid softgel once to thrice daily, preferably half an hour before food or as recommended by your health professional
- Servings Per Container: 90 or 180 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 1,250 mg safflower seed oil, 1,187 mg CLA
- Count: 90 or 180 softgels
- Suitable for: Men and Women
- Other Ingredients: Non-GMO vegetable glycerin, Kosher gelatin, carob, purified water
- Extra features: Non-GMO, gluten-free
Every softgel of Sports Research Max Potency CLA 1250 for weight loss packs 1,250 mg of safflower oil homogenized to 95% active CLA (1,187 mg) — the highest purity level on our product list. The CLA supplement is manufactured in a certified cGMP compliant facility and free of GMO, soy, and gluten.
For optimal CLA weight loss results, the manufacturer advises the users to take the product jointly with a healthy diet and exercise program.
Furthermore, each softgel capsule contains substantial liquid CLA for weight loss. Thus, individuals who intend to lose weight with the product should ingest one liquid softgel once to thrice daily, half an hour before food, or as a licensed medical practitioner instructed.
- Keep the product beyond the reach of children and pets
- Pregnant and nursing women, individuals with certain medical conditions, and those currently taking prescription drugs should consult their healthcare professionals to know what’s best for them. Individuals preparing to have surgery should also inquire from medical doctors if they used the product
- Always store the Sports Research Max Potency CLA 1250 in a dry place free from excessive heat, humidity, freezing, and light
- Never exceed the recommended daily intake, and don’t take it if the safety seal is broken or missing.
Sports Research Max Potency CLA 1250 isn’t produced with milk, fish, eggs, crustacean shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, gluten, or soy. Moreover, the company may produce the supplements in a third-party facility to refine other products containing these allergic substances or ingredients.
5. BulkSupplements.com Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Softgels
- Dosage Form: Softgels
- Dose: 1 softgel per serving
- Servings Per Container: 100 or 300 or 6,000 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 1,000 mg CLA complex
- Count: 100 or 300 or 6,000 softgels
- Suitable For: Adults
- Other Ingredients: Bovine gelatin, oleic acid, glycerin, stearic acid, palmitic acid
- Extra Features: Free of added sugar, dairy, soy, and yeast
BulkSupplements.com CLA is an American-manufactured supplement brand derived from safflower oil. The product is touted as a fat burner intended for weight management, muscle mass support or increase, and metabolism assistance.
Similarly, this CLA supplement has a concentration of 1,000 mg per softgel, out of which 78% comprises CLA. The manufacturer suggests that the users take one softgel up to thrice daily with food as a dietary supplement or as recommended by a physician.
- BulkSupplements CLA isn’t intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, and cure any disease
- The manufacturer’s statements aren’t FDA-certified
- Store BulkSupplements CLA in a cool, dry place
- Endeavor to consult your healthcare practitioner before taking this CLA supplement
- Pregnant and lactating women, people with underlying medical conditions, or people on medications should see a physician before using the product
- Keep the product out of children’s reach
6. BPI Sports CLA + Carnitine
- Dosage Form: Powder
- Dose: 1 scoop per serving
- Servings Per Container: 50 servings
- Concentration Per Scoop: 2.5 g CLA Matrix (containing safflower oil and 2 g of carnitine)
- Net Weight:34 oz
- Flavors: Fruit Punch, Rainbow Ice, Snow Cone, Watermelon Freeze
- Suitable For: Adults
- Other Ingredients: Natural and artificial flavors, malic acid, citric acid, maltodextrin, sucralose, silica, FD&C Red No. 40, acesulfame k
- Extra Features: With added carnitine; the product exists in multiple flavors
BPI Sports CLA + Carnitine is a weight loss supplement that packs two healthy constituents/active ingredients — CLA and carnitine. This flavored product enables users to avoid the “jitters” and “crashes” associated with fat burners. Namely, the active ingredients (CLA and carnitine) are naturally occurring entities that are believed to have non-stimulating effects.
Both ingredients are thought to work synergistically to convert fat deposits to energy and forestall potential fat storage.
The manufacturer opines that the CLA content in the product inhibits lipoprotein lipase (LPL), the enzyme that enhances fat absorption from the bloodstream and storage in fatty tissues. Meanwhile, carnitine supports weight loss by acting as a fat transporter, increasing the amount of freed-up fat cells in the process. Thus, explaining the necessity of its addition to the product.
Furthermore, the manufacturer states that CLA supports lean muscle development by inhibiting the catalysis of muscle protein. Finally, BPI Sports offers a 100% money-back guarantee on every product purchase.
- BPI Sports CLA + Carnitine isn’t intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, and cure any disease
- The manufacturer’s statements aren’t FDA-certified and shouldn’t be taken as such
7. NutraOne CLAOne
- Dosage Form: Softgel capsule
- Dose: 1 softgel capsule thrice daily, preferably before or with food
- Servings Per Container: 90 servings
- Concentration Per Serving: 1,000 mg CLA Active Blend
- Count: 90 softgels
- Suitable For: Adults
- Other Ingredients: Gelatin, carob. glycerin
- Extra Features: The product is thought to support metabolism and heart health.
This CLA supplement for weight loss manufactured by NutraOne Nutrition is a natural toning agent intended for fat-burning and muscle enhancement. Each CLAOne softgel capsule has a concentration of 1,000 mg, offering 80% CLA. Remarkably, the formula is all-natural, containing no stimulants.
NutraOne asserts that CLAOne can decrease stored body fat, increase lean muscle mass, enhance health, and support metabolism and heart health. Additionally, the manufacturer recommends that the user takes one softgel thrice daily, preferably before or with food, for optimal CLA weight loss results.
- CLAOne isn’t meant to diagnose, treat, prevent, and cure any disease
- The FDA hasn’t evaluated the manufacturer’s statements
How to Choose the Best CLA Supplement for Weight Loss: Buyer’s Guide
Before purchasing CLA supplements for weight loss, an individual needs to be apprised of some critical pieces of information. These realities encompass the reported pros and cons of CLA, alternative means of weight loss, and answers to frequently asked questions about CLA supplements.
Reported CLA Pros and Cons
Like most drugs and supplements, it’s assumed that CLA has its benefits and dangers. Various clinics and scientific bodies have performed several pieces of research to ascertain the positive and negative claims associated with conjugated linoleic acid consumption by humans. However, one thing these analyses have in common is “inconsistency.”
In this section, we’d present some purported CLA pros and cons.
Proposed Benefits of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
- Effect of CLA on Body Fat Mass and Lean Body Mass
Much research focuses on the effects of dietary CLA supplementation on weight loss. Some CLA for weight loss studies prove that CLA has beneficial impacts in decreasing body fat mass and increasing lean body mass (LBM) when consumed in high doses. It’s important to note that these experiments were conducted on healthy and obese, passive, and exercising adults.
- Effect of CLA on Immunity
Although some CLA supplements manufacturers claim CLA has immune-enhancing effects, this assertion hasn’t been proven. Namely, tests of the effects of CLA on immunity are often inconsistent. Even the experiments that appeared promising initially ended up being insubstantial.
- CLA Impact on the Cardiovascular System
Bad trans fats and high cholesterol levels in the plasma contribute majorly to the risk of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases (CVD). Some animal studies indicate that CLA may have anti-CVD and anti-sclerotic effects. However, human results have been less extensive.
Two different isomers of CLA, 9- and 10-CLA, have opposing consequences on atherosclerosis. The 10-CLA isomer may promote atherosclerosis and immune resistance. Conversely, 9-CLA presents reduced risks of cardiovascular diseases.
- CLA and Cancer Treatment and Prevention
There are several claims on the relationship between CLA and cancer treatment and prevention. Still, these statements are inconclusive and inconsistent.
A Swedish study suggested that women who consumed four or more servings of high-fat dairy products (rich in CLA) increased their risk of colorectal cancer by 59% compared to those who took only one serving. Similarly, some researchers inferred that CLA might have an inverse relationship to cancer risk in postmenopausal women. However, it was impossible to pinpoint a positive correlation.
Inferred Side Effects of Using CLA for Weight Loss
Several analyses imply that taking CLA for weight loss has side effects. However, some of these studies are not as reliable as the CLA benefits for weight loss surveys.
Some presumed CLA for weight loss side effects include:
- Oxidative stress
- Insulin resistance
- Gastrointestinal tract irritation
- Milk fat depression
Some Alternative Means of Weight Loss
Besides taking a CLA supplement for weight loss, there are various proven efficient methods of shedding weight. These methods primarily involve dietary and lifestyle changes. These include:
1. Healthy Diet and Eating Practices
An individual may lose weight or maintain a certain weight by adopting a balanced diet and good eating practices. If you intend to lose weight, a meal with decreased starch, sugar, and carbs is best for you. Additionally, eat a substantial amount of leafy greens, such as broccoli, spinach, kale, and healthy protein products like eggs, fish, and legumes.
Furthermore, quit late-night eating, bedding immediately after dinner, and overfeeding.
2. Exercise and Body Movements
Participating in routine exercises and performing body movements, such as dancing, are great ways to lose weight promptly.
You may benefit from these methods by enrolling in exercise classes for weight loss. Alternatively, or concurrently, you could start dancing to lose significant weight. There are several classical dances for weight loss you may try.
3. Opt for Healthy Fats
Even though fats are often seen as inappropriate classes of food by individuals trying to lose weight, there are several healthy fats out there that may help you realize your weight loss needs.
For instance, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are two healthy fatty acids that people attempting to lose weight can take. The sources of CLA and omega-3 for weight loss are distinct.
Dietary CLA is obtainable from the meat of grass-fed animals, while CLA supplements are derived from safflower oil. Meanwhile, omega-3 fatty acids may be obtained from fish, nuts, vegetable oil, or omega-3 supplements.
4. Claritin D and Its Relevance to Weight Loss
Claritin is a brand form of the anti-allergic drug, Loratidine. The Claritin D variant of the drug contains additional pseudoephedrine, which relieves allergy-related nasal congestion and sinus pressure.
Surprisingly, some individuals have brought up the use of Claritin D for weight loss. However, the drug’s weight-reducing impact is an adverse side effect of pseudoephedrine following a loss of appetite. Thus, the use of Claritin D for weight loss shouldn’t be encouraged and practiced.
Best CLA Supplements for Weight Loss: FAQ
Are CLA supplements effective for weight loss?
Numerous users of CLA supplements testify that they help them lose weight. Some clinical studies have also suggested that CLA may facilitate weight loss and increase lean body mass (LBM) in humans, even though the results are more promising in animals.
What is the recommended CLA dosage for weight loss?
Research suggests that you need a daily CLA dose of at least 3,000 mg for weight loss. The majority of studies focus on a daily dose of 3,200–6,400 mg.
Most CLA supplement brands possess unique CLA dosage for optimal weight loss benefits, with some dosages as high as 6,000 mg. However, the best CLAs for weight loss generally have a dosage of up to 1,000 mg per serving.
What is the best way to take CLA for weight loss?
The question of how to take CLA for weight loss depends on the specific brands. CLA supplements may exist in different dosage forms, such as softgels, capsules, liquid, and powder. In this light, how you take these formulas significantly depends on the dosage form.
Similarly, some CLA brand manufacturers advise the users to supplement CLA into their diet and engage in exercise jointly.
Confirm from the product descriptions, packaging, and labeling to know the required intake mode. You may also consult healthcare professionals to hear what they have to say.
The best time to take CLA for weight loss is?
This also depends on the particular CLA supplement brand. While most CLA brands are meant to be taken with meals, other brands are intended before meals.
Again, some brands require both morning and night intake.
Verify from the product descriptions, packaging, and labeling to know the required time of intake. You may also talk with healthcare professionals to hear what they say.
How long does it take for CLA to work?
There’s no direct response to the question of how long an individual needs to wait for a CLA supplement to work. Some CLA users state that they begin seeing weight loss results while taking the first bottle of CLA supplements. At the same time, other individuals don’t notice considerable changes until after taking the first bottle.
Ultimately, you’ve been updated on the best CLA for weight loss in 2022. Still, don’t just stop there; visit the product’s manufacturer webpage to read more about a product and know if it suits your health needs.
Similarly, don’t turn a blind eye to the proposed benefits of CLA as the scientific and medical communities make discoveries every day. However, be careful to avoid taking an overdose of CLA supplements in a bid to lose weight. Additionally, don’t fail to inform your medical consultant of any new development that may arise from your use of CLA supplement for weight loss.
We hope you’re able to make informed decisions from this guide.