A mass gainer is a high-calorie nutrition supplement that provides you adequate nutrients to promote weight gain, especially among athletes. The entire process of consuming enough nutrients and in exercise can be pretty challenging, explaining why most people prefer using mass gainer supplements. These supplements come with enough carbohydrates, proteins, fats, and essential vitamins required to fuel your body. They are full of muscle-building amino acids and other solubles to maximize macro intake and calories.
In fact, the calorie supply of a mass gainer can range from 300 to 1200 calories per serving, depending on the brand. If you have trouble getting the required calories to support your lean muscle, then a high protein, high-calorie mass gainer may be all you need to build a solid lean muscle mass.
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn about the ten best mass gainers in the market today and get useful insight into the benefits, risks, and valuable user information. Check out our FAQ section at the end of this useful read to get answers to common questions that may arise as you think of making that amazon purchase.
Quick Summary About Mass Gainers
Best overall: Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder – for being a product of a trusted source (Optimum Nutrition) that has been providing quality post-workout regimens for over three decades.
Best taste: BSN TRUE-MASS Weight Gainer – for providing users with a wide array of tasty flavors to choose from, from vanilla to marshmallow to chocolate chip, you’ll definitely find something to please your taste buds…at an affordable price.
Best muscle fuel: Dymatize Super Mass Gainer Protein Powder – for providing a basis for building strength alongside mass.
Regardless of why you want to gain weight, the main component of the process is ensuring you consume more calories to compensate for what you’re burning. However, many people still struggle to gain weight. Mostly, it’s because they have a higher metabolism.
For the strugglers, mass gainers are the best remedies. These products are designed to provide you with a balance of all necessary ingredients for gaining weight.
Mass Gainers vs Whey Protein: Unlike whey protein, mass gainers provide large amounts of carbohydrates and fats besides proteins. Mass gainers give nearly 700-800 calories per 200g powder that may include 140-160g carbohydrates and 26-36g of protein including some fats, whereas whey protein gives 25-50g protein with almost no carbohydrates and fat.
Read on to get insight into the best supplements that have helped many gain mass and can work well with you too.
The 10 Best Mass Gainers: Detailed Reviews
Today, there are many mass gaining products in the market. Whether you want the best mass gainers for skinny guys or overage guys, there is always a product for you. However, to get the best mass gainer, you need to be careful when making purchases. Remember, there are illegitimate vendors out there too.
A quality mass gainer should have the following:
- A clear quality label from the manufacturer preferable from the United States
- A comprehensive list of ingredients
- Positive online reviews from real users
CAUTION: Some supplements may cause complications to you, especially if you’re allergic to some ingredients used in their manufacture. Be sure to consult with your doctor if you’re in doubt about a certain ingredient in your mass gaining supplement.
1. Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- Form: Powder
- Dose:2 heaping scoops per serving in 24 fl. oz. of cold water or milk
- Ingredients:Maltodextrin, Protein Blend, vitamins, minerals, Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, natural and artificial flavors
This powder is great because it’s easy to mix into shakes and smoothies and is rich in proteins and calories. With each two-scoop serving, you get 50 grams of proteins and 1250 calories. It also has vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D, and vitamin C. Proteins help in recharging intense workouts and help your body build muscle. Vitamin D is majorly for immune support.
This supplement also contains 250 grams of carbohydrates for energy generation during exercise. Indeed, it has become a favorite for many because it can be integrated into any diet to supplement foods that may be heavy, unpleasant, or time-consuming to eat.
Why it’s so great: This mass gainer is easily accessible in m multiple flavors and added vitamins and minerals. It also has a good rating of 4.5/5 on Amazon, coupled with many positive reviews from users.
2. BSN TRUE-MASS Weight Gainer
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 3 scoops mixed with 16 oz. of cold water or any beverage of choice once per day
- Ingredients: Protein Matrix, Sunflower Powder, Maltodextrin, Polydextrose, Medium Chain Triglycerides Powder, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Acacia gum, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Soy Lecithin, Potassium.
This mass gainer contains 700-750 calories per serving, which is marginally lower compared to other mass gainers. Moreover, It also contains 17 vitamins and minerals that aid in supporting healthy muscle tissue.
BSN TRUE-MASS Weight Gainer comes in different flavors, which include cookies and cream, rich chocolate, and gourmet vanilla, enabling users to use their preferred flavor and yet get the same benefits.it is also an affordable mass gainer compared to other options.
The mix has Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAS) and other essential amino acids to assist in recovery and endurance. According to most of the online reviews we looked at, those with quick metabolism as well as those with a high caloric intake reported good results using this product.
Why it’s so great: Its strength comes from its 2-to-1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio, which is tailored toward athletes who need a higher caloric intake. In addition, the carbohydrates particularly come from rolled oats, so you will not be channeling your body with junk.
3. Dymatize Super Mass Gainer Protein Powder
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 2 scoops in 24 oz. of cold water or fresh milk
- Other Ingredients: Protein Matrix, Vitamins (A, C, D, B12), leucine, thiamine, riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Biotin, Calcium, Iron Phosphorus, Creatine, Glutamine, Cocoa, sunflower creamer, fructose, potassium chloride, Aspartic acid.
With Dymatize Super Mass Gainer Protein Powder, you’ll witness a real transformation. This product comes with 1300 calories per serving and has all the necessary minerals, carbohydrates, calories, and BCAAs to help you increase mass and strength.
The BCAAs act as building blocks and help in the activation of muscle protein synthesis. On the other hand, creatinine plays a significant role in boosting strength and endurance, while Glutamine helps with muscle recovery after intense exercise.
Why it’s so great: This product represents the true meaning of “killing two birds with one stone.” By helping athletes build mass while boosting their strength at the same time, Dymatize Super Mass Gainer Protein Powder is undoubtedly among the best in the market.
4. MuscleMeds Carnivor Mass Diet Supplement
- Form: Powder:
- Serving size: 4 scoops of powder in 16 oz. of water
- Other ingredients: iSpike Technology (Insulin-release-amplifying reactive carbohydrate system), insulin-signal-amplifying system, carnivor-BPI ( hydrolyzed beef protein isolate, L-glutamine, creatine monohydrate, branched-chain amino acids, Nitrogen.
This mass gaining supplement is well known for its great taste. It contains over 700 calories per serving, 125 grams of carbohydrates as well as 50 grams of proteins. It also contains low fats.
The main reason beef protein is used is that it is lactose, dairy, sugar, and gluten-free, making it easy on the stomach. If you are looking for a mass gainer/protein powder hybrid, this is what you should opt for. Besides all these benefits, beef protein is as well responsible for the high absorption rate of concentrated amino acids.
However, this mass gainer may not be suitable for vegans as it contains 100% beef protein.
Why it’s so great: We found this product to be unique because the protein can deliver the mass gaining benefits (mass, strength, and recovery) just like whey products but eliminates the risk of lactose intolerance, allergies, cholesterol, and other issues associated with dairy products.
5. Chocolate Naked Mass Gainer Protein Powder
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 4 scoops of powder in 16 oz. of water
- Other ingredients: Organic Tapioca Maltodextrin, Rice Protein, Organic Cacao, Organic Coconut Sugar, and Pea Protein.
Naked mass uses gluten-free, organic tapioca maltodextrin for clean source complex carbohydrates, unlike other weight gainers that use wheat-based maltodextrins. It also contains naked whey, naked casein, organic raw cocoa, and organic sugar, all of which chemical-free and is GMO-free, free of hormones and artificial sweeteners.
However, you don’t have to stress about the nasty taste. You can flavor your shake with fruits such as bananas, blueberries, and many others.
With 1360 calories, this product stands as one of the best mass gainers in the market. Even without trying it out, the numerous positive reviews speak for themselves. In fact, some users have confessed to abandoning their previous mass gainers and settled on the Chocolate Naked Mass Gainer.
Why it’s so great: Nothing can be greater than a product that allows you to customize it to your preference. With a little creativity, you can make your favorite shake and tease your taste buds with your own flavors as you build mass at the same time.
6. Naked Vegan Mass Gainer Protein Powder
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 4 scoops into 24oz of non-dairy milk, water, or your favorite beverage.
- Other ingredients: rice protein powder, pea protein powder, and organic maltodextrin,
To gain weight, you do not necessarily have to eat a lot of beef, and this vegan mass gainer proves exactly that. Although it’s formulated for vegans, anyone can benefit from it.
With each serving, you get 1230 calories, 50 grams of protein, 10.3 grams of BCAAs, and 248 grams of complex carbohydrates, it’s GMO-free, gluten-free, and has no dairy, soy, or artificial sweeteners.
As we reviewed the customer’s comments across different platforms, there was almost no report of side effects such as stomach upsets commonly reported with other products. This can be attributed to the essential amino acids that aid in protein synthesis.
Why it’s so great: Vegan is considered healthy. With the Naked Vegan Mass gainer Protein Powder, you’re guaranteed a formula that will give your body optimum nutrition while ensuring you gain mass safely.
7. MuscleTech Mass-Tech Elite Mass Gainer
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 5 scoops with 16 oz of water or skim milk. Drink in the morning, between meals, or post-workout.
- Ingredients: Multi-phase carb complex, multi-phase protein system including hey protein and whey isolate, cocoa powder, cocoa extender
Are you tired of working out without seeing any results? Have you hit a plateau in your workout progress? Well, worry no more because this product may present exactly what you need. In fact, it’s among the best scientifically formulated supplements for muscle and strength.
Mass-Tech provides a researched mixture of creatine and advanced carb matrix (156g of carbs, 80g of protein, and 10g of creatine monohydrate), causing an insulin spike after a workout, resulting in the transportation of creatine directly into the muscle while quickly replenishing glycogen.
In addition, the formula provides essential amino acids required for muscle recovery and growth, especially after hardcore training. It works perfectly if taken in the morning, between meals, and after workouts.
Why it’s so great: The formulation of this product is backed by scientific evidence. The fact that it’s 100% made in the USA gives it a competitive edge over other products made elsewhere.
8. Mutant Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 4 scoops in 16-32 oz. of water
- Other Ingredients: Mutant Mass Protein matrix, Waxy maize starch, maltodextrin, Sunflower and MCT oil, Dextrose, Waxy barley, Glutamine peptide.
Made with whole natural foods (barley, sunflower oil, rolled oats, coconut oil, sweet potato, flaxseed, pumpkin seed, and avocado), this mass gainer contains 1100 calories, 192 grams of carbohydrates, 26.1 grams of EAAS, 12 grams of fat, and 12.2 grams of BCAAS.
Like the other mass gainers mentioned earlier, BCAAs are important components of this product and are essential in enhancing protein synthesis.
No one can ignore the gourmet taste that comes with this mass gainer. As you research the best mass gainer that suits your needs, don’t ignore to sneak a peek into what this mass gainer offers. It might just be all you need to transform your body.
Why it’s so great: Apart from the fact that it’s made with natural and healthy whole foods, this product is manufactured by a federally licensed facility with state-of-the-art resources to maintain golden standards. It’s, therefore, safe and worth a try.
9. Rivalus Clean Gainer
- Form: Powder
- Serving size: 2 scoops in 12-16 oz of water
- Other ingredients: Full spectrum sources, eight-source carbohydrate blend, essential fats (from avocado, sunflower, and flax), dairy protein blend
Rivalus Clean Gainer is best suited for professional athletes looking to add weight without introducing any illegal trace drugs in their system. According to the manufacturer, this mass gainer provides only 560 calories per serving which is way lower than the standard mass gainer.
It also contains essential fats from flax, sunflower, and avocado and 90 grams of eight-source complex carbohydrates coupled with 30 grams of a dairy protein blend.
The manufacturer recommends taking one serving after your workout and one before you retire to bed for the best results.
Why it’s so great: This product is 100% made in the USA. It has been analyzed and found to be free of more than 145 banned substances by the LGC and is well recognized by sports brands across the country.
10. Build-XT Muscle Builder
- Form: Capsules
- Serving size: 2 capsules daily
- Ingredients: ElevATP, Astragin, PeakO2.
Last but not least at all is the Build-XT Muscle Builder that comes in pill form, unlike all the other options on our list, and is an effective daily muscle builder supplement. In fact, it is the first supplement to use this unique combination of science-backed bodybuilding ingredients for muscle building and recovery and is the best anabolic mass gainer in the market today.
The synergistic ingredient stack boosts muscle development, stamina, power, and endurance significantly. From the first dose, you’ll notice an immediate difference. You can toss it back with your other vitamins rather than consuming it in liquid form.
We recommend it to those who love to swallow capsules rather than drink the flavored smoothie. This mass and weight gainer has a daily dosage, and we always recommend following the manufacturer’s specification to achieve optimum results.
Why it’s so great: Nothing feels greater than popping a legal pill that you can trust. These pills are 100% the USA manufactured, and this is done in a state-of-the-art cGMP facility.
Mass Gainers Buying Guide
Now that you know what is in the market, this is what you should do: If you’re struggling with gaining weight, you can check in with your doctor to determine the cause. If it’s because you have a high metabolism, then a mass gain re will come in handy in your daily diet. If you’re an athlete and your progress has plateaued, measure your daily calorie intake and purchase the supplement that can give you the additional nutrients that you may be lacking in your diet.
Editor’s advice: Do not depend on mass gainers alone. You should take your supplement alongside a balanced diet made up of healthy foods that also support weight gain if you want to realize optimum results. Either way, make sure your purchase is from a verified vendor and the product is legit. If in doubt, choose one of the best we have thoroughly researched and listed above for you to review.
Do Mass Gainers Work?
Yes! Consuming them will lead to weight gain — assuming that the extra calories you consume exceed the Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). However, in certain instances, you may not achieve the weight that you want.
Remember, as you break past the marketing hype, there is no mystical muscle-building recipe out there; instead, they are just good strategies of dumping fat in your body quickly enough. As a result, for many people who aren’t careful, it’s really likely to wind up with a majority of the extra weight you gain coming from fat rather than muscle mass.
Benefits and Side Effects?
Like any other manufactured consumable out there, mass gainers also have associated pros and cons. Let’s begin with the benefits:
- They’re super high in calories, therefore achieve their goal of adding weight
- There are both post-workout and daily value varieties out there, so you have many options to choose from
- They can help you achieve your creatine needs easily
- They help in post-workout recovery
- Some enhance strength gain alongside muscle mass
Although most mass gainers have almost no negative side, some users have reported mass gainers’ side effects such as:
- Dehydration: Taking these supplements while not taking enough water may lead to dehydration. Just like working out, hydrating yourself while taking these supplements is one of the key elements to bulk up
- Liver problems: Besides aiding in metabolizing fats and carbohydrates, the liver is also responsible for metabolizing proteins in your diet, so if you add more than your usual protein intake, the liver also does more work. To avoid overworking your liver, follow the specification provided by the manufacturer and avoid alcoholic drinks.
- Diarrhea: When there is a complication in the digestive tract, one is likely to get diarrhea. Lactose intolerant individuals are also likely to suffer the same. To prevent this side effect, always have your supplement shake an hour or two before your workout and drink plenty of water, as well as incorporating additional nutrient-rich foods in your diet.
- Breathing complications: When taking mass gainers, some common breathing complications one is likely to experience are sneezing, coughing, wheezing, and on rare occasions, asthma. Your body is designed with a respiratory system that can provide adequate breathing capacity to a certain body weight at a time. Using mass gainer supplements may bulk you up and get your body to a point where it can’t support your breathing capacity, leading to complications.
- Kidney problems: Mass gainers contain proteins that are made up of amino acids that have an excess amount of Nitrogen. If you get an extra amount of proteins in your body, your kidney has to get rid of the excess Nitrogen and other by-products of protein metabolism.
Are Mass Gainers Safe?
Although there is a bit of skepticism about the ability of mass gainers, the supplement industry maintains that mass gainers are one of the safest products. However, it’s quite hard to determine which will work best for you as people react differently to different products. Unlike pre-workouts and fat burners, they don’t carry high health risks.
Mass gainers are majorly made of three macronutrients that are proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. In a standard package of between 200-300g, a mass gainer contains about and not more than 20% protein and more than 70% carbohydrates. This can vary from product to product, but the order of predominance does not change.
Some may contain vitamins, minerals, and their ingredients in small amounts.
NOTE: As much as mass gainers are safe to use, they are not really necessary. In fact, they can easily be made at home by mixing protein, oats, and peanut butter. Before deciding to use mass gainers, you should begin your weight gain journey by consuming more calories than you burn. That is being on a calorie surplus. Gently increasing your calorie intake by a further 500 calories per day can result in an increase in body weight per week.
Tips For Choosing a Good Mass Gainer
- First, you need to ensure the mass gainer has all the nutrients needed. That is a complete supply of healthy fat, carbs, and proteins according to the calorie requirements.
- Know the number of calories per serving. This depends on individual needs, but the range is 1200 calories or higher per serving.
- Consider micronutrients. By micronutrients, we mean vitamins and minerals. Some people prefer a lot of these nutrients in their mass gainers, while others may not.
- Get your favorite flavor of weight gainer. Remember, most mass gainers are taken two to three times a day. You want something that tastes good, not like medicine.
- If you are getting the supplement for the first time, buy a smaller bottle to try first before you settle on the supplement.
- If you want to buy a post-workout mass gainer, choose one with fast-release Glutamine, BCAA’s and proteins, and little fat. The supplement must have a good supply of carbohydrates, too, for energy.
- Check the customer reviews and ratings on sites such as amazon. These represent some of the most discerning and honest opinions about any product. However, be sure to review multiple reviews before you settle on an opinion. Remember, some people just write reviews for the sake of writing, and some give false accounts.
- Confirm the manufacturer: A good mass gainer is one that is manufactured in a GMP-certified facility anywhere in the USA.
Mass Gainer Etiquette
- Be sure to mix the powder well with milk, water, or your preferred beverage. We do not recommend alcoholic drinks, though.
- While mixing, use a shaker or a blender if lumps are visible in the drink. It will taste better when it’s all fine and smooth.
- Take your supplement 30 minutes after working out because that is when muscle-building and recovery are at their peak.
- Prioritize sleep while taking mass gainers to ensure good rest
- Every 3-4 hours, make sure to eat something to keep your body fueled to avoid burning fat.
- If you take the mass gainers, don’t sit idle and wait for a miracle. You got to move the scale to realize results.
Mass Gainer: More FAQs
If you did not have adequate time to read through the entire article, these questions will give you an insight into what a mass gainer is and how it can help you achieve your weight goals.
What is a Mass Gainer?
A mass gainer is a high-calorie nutrition supplement that provides you adequate nutrients to promote weight gain, especially among athletes. However, you don’t have to be an athlete to benefit from mass gainers. If you’re struggling to gain weight, a good mass gainer will provide you with enough calories to supplement what you get from your food.
Who Should Use Mass Gainers?
Anyone willing to add some muscle mass can use mass gainers. Men and women, weightlifters and bodybuilders, athletes, skinny people, and people having a fast metabolism can all consider adding mass gainers to their diet.
What Helps in Mass Gainers?
When it comes to gaining weight, it is all about micronutrients and calories. Mass gainers contain popular ingredients such as creating and Glutamine which increases the number of calories available in your body. This gives an incredible boost to your muscle mass gain and growth.
What are The Side Effects of Mass Gainers?
Besides the many gains, mass gainers also have some drawbacks. Some common side effects of mass gainers include insomnia, digestion problem, kidney failure, high blood pressure, among others.
Are Mass Gainers Healthy?
Mass gainers are high-calorie products with large amounts of proteins and carbohydrates. When added to your diet, the products can help you gain weight. However, they are not as healthy as real foods.
When is the Ideal Time to Use Mass Gainers?
According to the International Society of Sports nutrition, mass gainers can be taken any time up to two hours after an intense workout. This is an ideal way of building muscle mass.