Have you ever wanted to lose weight and practiced a certain diet? Did you ever notice how fast the first few pounds go? Some people can lose up to 10 lbs in the first day of diet because low-carb nutrition allows the body to flush out extra water and salts through the urine. But, how does that work, and how can water pills help you lose excess water faster?
Water pills, also known as diuretics are special pills that put extra strain on kidneys to flush out water and salt out of the body. They are a great way to regulate your diet and lose those extra pounds. Additionally, they help with cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, PMS, and other ailments.
In this article, we’ll detail everything you need to know before buying water pills. We’ll also review the 10 best water pills for you to see which one works the best for you.
Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before opting for water pills, as it can be quite dangerous to take them without a prescription and consultation.
Best Water Pills: Quick Picks
Now that we highlighted the basic information about water pills, it’s time to review the best options based on the purpose they are used for.
Best Overall – Tevare Water Away – The best overall option is all-in-one option that is rich in potassium, citrates and vitamin B-6 complex that helps handle weight loss, bloating, edema, PMS and many other issues.
Runner Up: Jet Fuel Diuretic – The runner up option that is also rich in potassium and muscle-defining formula, it’s great for athletes.
Best Budget: Now Foods, Water Out – If you’re restricted, Now Foods Water Out is a great budget-friendly option that easily helps you get rid of excess fluids.
Things To Look Into Before Buying Water Pills (Diuretics)
Diuretics are a common food supplementation for athletes and people looking to lose weight, as well as people who have problems with heart, painful periods, and blood pressure. Here are all the little things you need to know before buying diuretics.
Types of Water Pills
Water pills can improve a variety of health conditions. That’s why it’s worth understanding that there are different types of water pills. You need to choose water pills depending on the purpose, and below we’ll detail which pills are suitable for different conditions.
There are three main types of water pills. While all of them function so to dispel extra water out of your body through urine, some types have extra benefits as well as side effects that you should be aware of.
- Potassium-sparing diuretics
- Loop diuretics
- Thiazide diuretics
Potassium is one of the most important elements and nutrients in our body. However, when our body flushes the water out of our body, potassium often gets flushed out, which causes a loss in nutrients. Water pills that work as potassium-sparing will help the potassium remain in your body while getting rid of water, salts, and toxins along.
These diuretics are most often prescribed to people who already suffer from potassium-deficiency, as well as those who take other heavy-duty medicines. Here are the most common potassium-sparing water pills.
Editor’s note: Keep in mind that these types of diuretics don’t reduce blood pressure like other, stronger types. But they are important for keeping potassium in your body, which is important for regulating your heart’s health and preventing conditions like arrhythmia.
Loop diuretics are closely related to problems associated with cardiovascular health and heart failure. Those who have heart problems are mostly prescribed diuretics such as:
Thiazides are regularly prescribed by healthcare providers mostly to treat high blood pressure, soothe period cramps, and aid with the beginning of a diet that’s meant to help you lose weight.
Many healthcare providers prescribe thiazides along with other medicines that help lessen the blood pressure because it helps reduce strain on blood vessels while getting rid of excess fluids and salts. Here are the most common thiazides prescribed:
Important Ingredients to Consider
Most water pills have certain ingredients in common, while some other options sport additional nutrients and ingredients to add a certain effect to the formula. Here are the most commonly found ingredients in water pills.
- Potassium – as mentioned above, it helps regulate the health of the heart and regulate the fluid balance in the body.
- Magnesium – Diuretics can often cause magnesium deficiency, especially if the fluids are stuck in bones (edema) that’s why magnesium extract in the formula helps regulate it.
- Citrates – Add vitamins and regulate electrolytes in the body. Vitamin C, which is important in regulating our body’s metabolic processes, immunity, and getting rid of excess fluids.
- B-6 Complex – Is great at preventing water retention, it’s especially beneficial in treating PMS-related water retention.
- Caffeine – Usually naturally-derived from teas and guarana, caffeine helps athletes who are working out and using diuretics stay strong. A lot of people who take diuretics before going to the gym take the caffeine-rich option.
Benefits of Taking Water Pills
Given the aforementioned types of diuretics, there are a lot of benefits they can have for your body. Let’s look at some of them before.
- They are great for starting your diet, by helping out flush excess water that is bound with salts in your body. By flushing the water and sodium into the kidneys, it helps you lose excess weight that you may have gained during the Thanksgiving or Christmas eve dinner. One study found that weight loss is the imperative of diuretic therapy.
- They can help reduce your blood pressure, according to a randomized study. When your body flushes out extra water and sodium along the way, your bloodstream becomes less saturated with salts and sodium, which relaxes the veins under the strain and helps reduce blood pressure.
- They are good for treating heart failure, according to a study.
- They help your heart pump blood, especially after suffering a heart attack after your heart already suffered an “injury.”
- They can reduce the period cramps. Few days before a period, a woman’s body usually retains extra fluid. Water pills can help release the fluid while making uterus contractions more bearable and less painful.
- It can help treat acne which is a result of hormonal changes in the body.
- They can help with treating Edema. FDA approved the use of loop diuretics for treating edema, as per one study.
It’s important to note that some athletes use diuretics to flush out the residue of steroids that they are taking.
However, both steroids and diuretics are banned in most sports, because not only they can cause rapid weight loss, they can also be harmful while boosting athletic performance.
Drawbacks And Potential Risks of Taking Water Pills
Water pills have a lot of benefits for people with certain needs, like healing their heart, reducing blood pressure, losing weight, and others. However, while water pills won’t cause you to become addicted to them, excess taking can be dangerous, especially if you don’t take the potassium-sparing pills. Here are the potential risks and drawbacks of taking diuretics.
- They may deplete potassium from your body. That means that you’ll either have to take potassium-sparing pills. If you can’t take much water pills, you should back your body with potassium by eating foods such as potatoes, bananas, mushrooms, cucumber, and others.
- Eating potassium-sparing pills won’t reduce your blood pressure, so you’ll have to take additional medication.
- Drinking these pills late in the night could disrupt your sleep cycle because you may end up urinating throughout the night. That’s why it’s best to drink them in the morning.
- It can cause dizziness and nausea. The study found that some women who suffer from PMS could suffer from nausea and dizziness after stopping with diuretic therapy.
- It can have a lot of side effects for diabetics
- It can cause excess thirst, especially for diabetics.
- It can result in muscle cramps
- Loss of fluids can result in high cholesterol
- Loss of fluid can cause diarrhea
- It can result in high blood sugar and worsen for diabetics
- Ultimately, it can result in weight gain and damage to the kidneys if they are taken for too long. At the worst stage, it can also result in kidney failure.
- They can cause irregular heartbeat and eventually result in arrhythmia if taken not as prescribed, according to a study.
Editor’s note: Depending on what kind of water pills you’re taking, you can also get an allergic reaction, which can result in rash, and have other side effects. Consult with your healthcare provider before taking them. According to a study, taking water pills can result in an adverse allergic reaction.
Who Should Take Water Pills?
Who Shouldn’t Take Water Pills?
5 Best Water Pills: Reviews and Ratings
1. Best Overall – Tevare Water Away
- A type of potassium-sparing diuretic that helps get rid of excess fluids and reduce stomach bloating.
- It will remove the extra sodium from your body, without sacrificing potassium.
- They promote the function of the kidneys.
- There are two packagings available for you to choose from.
- Rich in vitamin B-6 that boosts the metabolism and immune system.
- It’s rich in oxidants, one of which is dandelion leaf root which helps promote health and digestive tract.
- Ideal for weight loss, getting rid of bloating and dealing with overly painful period cramps.
When we reviewed the best water pills with antioxidant features and potassium-sparing features we couldn’t find a better option than Tevare Water Away water pills that are the best overall, because they help with bloating while aiding kidneys in getting rid of excess water and salts like the sodium-rich salts.
In addition to aiding bloating, these pills help the immune system to keep running while boosting metabolism with vitamins such as vitamin B-6. It’s especially helpful for people who are dieting and exercising frequently and need to keep the water and sodium levels in the body optimal.
Vitamin 6 keeps turn the food into energy and get rid of excess water and toxins in it. It’s a type of potassium-sparing diuretic because it’s rich in Potassium-chloride which helps keep the potassium at optimal levels and keeps the metabolism run optimally.
Lastly, the water pills from Tevare are rich in dandelion leaf root which works as an antioxidant, which aids the eyesight, keeps the skin healthy, and improves the health of the digestive tract.
There are no particular problems associated with these water pills. Still, we recommend taking them early in the day so that you’d avoid repeated visits to the bathroom at the night.
2. Runner Up: Jet Fuel Diuretic
- It’s a potassium-sparing formula, meaning it won’t cause potassium loss.
- Potassium is available in the formula as a citrate
- It’s ideal for athletes who are looking for relief from temporary weight gain.
- Helps with fluid retention and gets rid of toxins in the fluid.
- It’s a muscle-defining formula.
If you’re looking for an option targeted more at athletes, Jet Fuel Diuretic is worth checking out. In addition to that, it’s a great runner up option as it’s as good as the Tevare option.
It’s great for everyone who is exercising and wanting to lose weight because it’ll aid your workout routine and help you expel extra water. It provides relief from bloating and fluid retention that can often mess with your daily routine. It’s also rich in a muscle defining formula and rich in herbal actives that regulate immunity.
It is free of stimulants but it contains potassium, so it can work as a potassium-sparing formula, that is overall good for your metabolism, immunity, and heart. It should, however, be taken with pauses in between, as it’s good to take only for 7 consecutive days to prevent loss of too many fluids, sodium, and potassium.
It’s also rich in citrates such as lemon and grapefruit citrate. It’s worth noting that even the Potassium is available in the formula as citrate.
Taking Jet Fuel Diuretic can have a very rigorous formula that’s not so easy to follow. Because it’s very strong, it’s expected for you to stop taking it after 7 consecutive days.
You need to take up to 6 pills a day to meet the dose, which may be too much for some people.
3. Best Budget: Now Foods, Water Out, Fluid Balance, 100 Veg Capsules
- A vegan-friendly option that will spare the potassium.
- It works faster than other options in the price range.
- It’s a great value for the price and budget-friendly.
- Rich in vitamin B-6
- Helps with getting rid of excess water and sodium.
- It’s effective in treating urinary tract infections.
When you’re restricted on budget, there are not many options to look for other than natural diuretics. Still, if you’re looking for something that will work faster than vitamin C or parsley tea, you should try Now Foods Water Out pills. This option is a great value for the price and budget-friendly, with 100 Veg capsules available in the packaging.
It’s great for people who are looking to lose weight and get rid of excess fluids while maintaining the optimal levels of potassium in the body. Similar to the first option, this formula is also rich in Dandelion leaf root, as well as Uva Ursi, Potassium, and vitamin B-6 which preserves your metabolism.
Aside from a healthy body and diet, it relieves your kidneys and aids with urinary tract infections. Based on the ingredients, it’s also vegan-friendly and quality assured with the GMP standard. Finally, it’s recommended to eat two twice a day along with a rich and healthy diet while taking a lot of water in the process.
It can add strain on your kidneys and make you urinate during the night.
It’s not good to use it after an extended time.
4. Best for High Blood Pressure: Diuretics for High Blood Pressure – Water Pills
- Provides an ultimate relief for your blood vessels and helps get rid of high blood pressure.
- Filters out the fluids that are rich in salts.
- Promotes the health of your kidneys
- Soothes the effects of a urinary tract infection.
- Made in the USA and approved by the GMP standard.
- It’s a loop type of water pills.
These pills that were manufactured in the USA and approved by the GMP strict standards are great for those who are suffering from high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases. They provide ultimate relief for your kidneys that release the sodium-rich fluids out of your body, helping with both weight loss, bloating, and optimal blood pressure.
More importantly, these water pills will reduce the amount of fluid in vessels, which helps get rid of blood pressure. It also improves the overall health of your kidneys and helps with urinary tract diseases.
It helps get rid of unwanted fluids but it’s bad if you take them in the evening and close to your bedtime.
It’s not rich in potassium or other metabolism-regulating vitamins so you may need to take more vitamin and potassium-rich foods like bananas and sweet potatoes.
5. Best for Bloating (Ascites): Diurex Max Water Pills
- It’s quite affordable
- Helps with mild bloating of 5-10 lbs
- Help get rid of excess weight and water in less than a day.
- It’s free of caffeine
Bloating is something a lot of people have to deal with, especially after eating a sodium-rich lunch or dinner. However, with effective treatment with Diurex Max Water pills, you’ll be able to get rid of the bloating while expelling the excess fluid out of your body.
The weight and bloating relief will also help you with exercising, dieting, sleeping, and much more. It’s important to note that these pills are caffeine-free, so they won’t keep you up at night. However, it’s worth noting that you may urinate more frequently if you drink it in the evening.
- It’s not recommended for people who have diabetes, heart disease, or kidney disease
- It’ll make you urinate frequently when taking it in the evening
- It’s not rich in potassium or vitamins which can be problematic for people who are potassium-deficient.
We Also Reviewed
The following reviews didn’t make it in the top five, but they’re a great alternative if other options aren’t in stock.
Best Water Pills for Edema: MHP Xpel Maximum Strength Diuretic Water Pills
- It helps get rid of excess fluids within a few days from use.
- It helps define and strengthen muscles, which makes it a great option for people in the gym
- Helps break down the fats and salts and help you with minor weight loss
- No period cramping
- It uses natural caffeine derived from Green Tea.
- It’s a trusted option with certifications, standards, and millions of sold bottles.
- It’s rich in vitamin B6, Magnesium, Calcium, and other essential nutrients
Edema refers to body swelling which can go from only a part of the body to entire limbs, or even the entire body. Edema happens when fluid retention spreads across the body. MHP is an all-natural herbal diuretic that works wonders for both men and women.
Notes: Given it’s using caffeine, you should avoid using it in the evening.
Best Water Pills for Weight Loss: GNC TOTAL LEAN® WATEREX™
- A potassium-sparing formula that will help you regulate the fluids in your body without losing one of the most essential nutrients in your body.
- Rich in vital electrolytes. Uses potassium and magnesium for muscular relaxation
- Rich in vitamin B-6 complex and herbs.
If you’re starting with a diet and natural diuretics weren’t much of a help, Waterex is an amazing formula that will help you kickstart your weight-loss journey. However, you should take it with breaks.
You should take it with breaks, otherwise, it could cause weight gain.
It will make you urinate frequently, don’t take it late in the evening.
Best Water Pills For Acne: BODYDYNAMIX® WATER PILL
- Potassium-sparing formula
- Rich in magnesium and vitamin B6 complex
- Gets rid of bloating
- Equipped with prebiotics that will feed your gut flora and reduce bloating
Bodydynamix water pill is equipped with a water-shedding formula that won’t only get rid of the excess fluids and sodium in your body, it’ll also have a beneficial effect on hormonal changes in your body which will help you fight off your acne and restore shine and softness to your skin.
It needs to be taken with breaks
It takes a little longer to get rid of bloating compared to other options available in the market
Causes excess urinating, so don’t use it late in the night.